Thursday, April 23, 2015

future

I've been forced to think a lot about my future lately. As a junior in high school, the impending pressure of applying to college and choosing a major and what I want to do for the rest of my life until I die is starting to take its toll. I feel like I still don't really know who I am or what I would be good at or what my major strengths are. I don't even really feel like I have strengths. What is it that I could do for the rest of my known life without pulling my hair out and constantly wish I'd done something differently or gone somewhere else? I really have no idea. I used to think that I knew what I wanted to do, but I was quickly introduced to the reality that the chances of actually getting a job writing for a comedy sitcom are, well, low. And you really need to have connections these days to get fun, cool jobs like writing for TV, or being in TV in general. I really have to ask myself, am I willing to do the work required to earn the respect of officials and managers in the industry? Also, am I funny enough? What if I sink all my student dept into playwriting or some worthless degree like that and never make a penny in my life? Is television writing really what I want/am meant to do? Or do I want to be a fashion photographer? A makeup artist? Work for public benefit and women's programs? I want to do all these things, but I don't even know if I could make it in any field I'm truly interested in.

My biggest fear above all of this is that I don't have the motivation or work ethic to be noticed. These are things I consider interests that I want to turn into passions. I'm worried, though, that I'll be lazy/unmotivated and I won't be attractive to potential employers, and I won't have the impressive portfolio necessary to be a potential hire even. I hope that after high school I'll have newfound inspiration and motivation to keep me moving forward in the world.

I should probably go study for the SAT's so I can get into a college. Great.

Sorry for the vent/rant sesh.

2 comments:

  1. I might not be a junior highschooler, but I know exactly what you mean! The future is so goddamn scary. It's weird that we all feel it but literally no one ever talks about it.

    thatcrazygiraffe.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. its eating me alive! especially with all this outside pressure from teachers/parents and whatnot. a lot of people talk about it at my school because I think we all feel this way to some degree :(

      Delete